Stories from the home of a preemie baby and extraordinarily large black Labrador

Saturday, April 23, 2011

2 Weeks Home

Today marks 2 weeks that we've had Cam home from the hospital, and 4 weeks since our Little Bear was born. What? 4 weeks. A month? That can't be. At this rate, he'll be leaving for college by next summer. Now I know what our parents meant when they say that you watch them grow up before your eyes.

Settling into a routine has been easier than I thought it would be. Honestly, I think this is, in part, due to the time that Cam spent in the ICN. From the time that he started bottle feeding, Cam was on a routine 3 hour feeding schedule which led to an easy transition at home. Throughout the day we have a snack every 3 hours and at night time he'll go for stretches of 4-5 hours before he starts smackin' his lips for some grub.

On another positive note, the hospital is full of noises. Annoying monitor alarms going off, other sick babies screaming their tiny lungs out, and nurses coming and going all night long. Thus, the kid sleeps through ANYTHING. And have you ever heard that babies become conditioned to loud noises that they hear repeatedly while in the womb? Like, uh, dogs barking? I actually buy into it now. Or Cam may just have his dad's selective hearing. Jackson's ongoing attempts to protect our home with completely unnecessary loud barking have little to no effect on Cam's slumber time. Praise the good Lord.

We're having a great time together here at home. Before Cam arrived I was scared to death of having an infant. I liked sleeping, I imagined he would do nothing but cry and I didn't know how in the world I would know what to do with him. Come to find out, I love being Cam's mommy. It's fun in a totally weird, new way. Sure, I still like sleeping, but our night time bottle breaks are a nice little snuggle and chat. We hear very little crying from the tough little booger and we seem to know what he needs so far. Diapers, milk and love are the essentials for the time being.

Before he arrived, I never thought about how it would feel when those little eyes look up at you while this tiny person naps on your chest and holds your finger in his pint sized hand. Now that he's here, I'm never letting him leave. I hope his future wife won't mind living in our basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment